Friday, September 4, 2009

summer cocktails

I'm looking forward to the weekend and the insanely good weather that has been predicted. Since this is the last, not to mention long, weekend of promising sun & pool time, I need to set up shop by the pool approximately from 10am-8pm Sat-Mon evening.
This is the best I can do to preserve my tan until I dust off my Uggs and go back to overloading on BareMinerals Warmth. Oh the days of dry, winter, fake-tan skin. Can't wait to see you again.

Well for the long weekend, since I'm being lazy, I invited my friends to be lazy by my pool with me. These invitations are as scarce and sacred as the golden tickets the giant pervert candy distributor gave out, since I can't stand the following: complainers (I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, I have to pee, ...go home), ADD tanners (I have the magical ability to lay still and silently for up to 5 hours in a pool of my own sweat), not to mention it's annoying to cut into my sun time to let my guests in. Darkening my skin tone in order to appear skinnier than I am has seemingly replaced my 3-4 mile daily runs. But I decided its Labor Day weekend, I should be semi-social. So we have tentative plans to BBQ by my pool this weekend.

Thinking about the all the meat and sun to come this weekend excites me. And inspires me to mix some pretty summer cocktails. Some possible beverages of my choice this weekend:

Classic Margarita

Something about the summer makes me want to have a margarita. Oh, maybe because it's frozen and cools my sweaty body. So I thought about margaritas for a little but then remembered, 700+ calories per serving. And why the salt rim? So I can further bloat after I've consumed your thousand calorie evilness? Tequila makes my insides do backflips in fear. Only when I am desperately trying to get drunk - or am already drunk - I will shut my eyes and pinch my nose tight and then take the shot of gasoline as fast as I can, then cry a little. The salt and lime does not help, but it does make the shot-taking a fun group activity out of the worst tasting alcohol (after Zambuca). Someone took it too far with body shots, though...ew.



Having worked at Williams-Sonoma (upscale domestic goods store, or rather, the store that gives out free food) for a ridiculous 4 years - a couple of hours here and there during college breaks, I was able to sample almost everything in the store. It's actually a really fun place to work.......if you're 30 something. I worked with the cutest newlywed Susie Homemakers, and we ate and drank everything in the store. This margarita is so good you could mix an entire plastic handle of cheap tequila with it, and it would still be worth the tears pouring down your cheeks post-sip. I wonder if they still sell it? I mean honestly, it fucking better taste good considering how much WS charges for their products.




White Sangria


I love interactive food. What I mean by this is "fun" food, like fajitas (build-your-own, so fun), Thai lettuce wraps (party on a platter), multicolored drinks (I'm so easily amused) and drinks with things you can chew. I.e. bubble tea:


And the adult version:




Since I haven't been the healthiest of eaters this summer, maybe this is how I will get my vitamin C. This drink's so pretty and I won't feel like a total heifer sipping this. I found a recipe for fruity fizz white sangria, and am seriously considering attempting to create a pitcher this weekend.



Miller Chill

Recently, my parents had company over for dinner. And they brought alcoholic beverages. Did I mention they're church friends? I still feel like I'm the baby of the house, so I felt really really weird/uncomfortable drinking at the dinner table. They were grilling lots of meat, so we were drinking Miller Chill beer. Contrary to popular opinion, I fucking hate Coronas(even though shoving the lime into the skinny longneck is as "interactive" as a beer can be without doing a handstand on a keg). So I had been really hesitant to try Miller Chill. Fruity beer is weird to me. Except the orangey Blue Moon, yum. But all that beef had me parched, and my first sip was glorious. I basically chugged a couple of bottles as casually as I could at the dinner table. But whatever, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one, my dad and his friend were Asian glowing HARD.


Light Lime Beer- most importantly 100 calories a bottle.




So as summer-y, nice, and refreshing as all this sounds, lets face it, this is probably what I'll be "sipping" poolside all weekend:


Happy Labor Day Weekend!

...someone at my office agrees with me, and is planning on getting a head start:


wtf?

No comments:

Post a Comment