I go to Heaven Nails NOT because of the decor, nail technicians, or even polish selection. It's small, not that nice, and the color selection is okay at best, although I do admit I've seen worse. Its saving grace is the fact that it is literally a couple of blocks away. First I get there, and I make the mistake of asking how long the wait will be. I should have just taken a look around and gauged for myself, but everyone was staring at me in the doorway I felt like I had to say something instead of creepily look around at peoples' fingers and toes in trying to measure how far into their mani/pedi they were. The owner, too nice and meek to the point it makes me uncomfortable, answers nervously "Uhhhhhhhh 10 meeeneeetts? Seven?" Even though I knew she was bullshitting I figured I'd already parked and made the effort (and I didn't know if other nail salons, other than this semi-illegitamate one, would be open on Labor day), so I decided to stay.
Since it was the last official weekend of summer I should have let my nails have their last hurrah and get the brightest pink I could find. But I wanted something fancy and shiny looking - if I'm getting my nails done I want them to shine and sparkle like the million......or eleven dollars I spent on them. So I chose OPI's Russian Navy. It's become the color of this summer, I can't bring myself to get anything else. I love black, but it's too nice out for that gothness. So the navy is my notch-down, plus it has a little sparkle - only in bright light, not like tranny style.
And here is where everythign began to go wrong. I waited 25 minutes, that's 18 more than what she promised. I'm irritated and annoyed with the trashy people around me getting their acrylic tips machine-filed down. Then I get the one woman I never liked. There's something that rubs me the wrong way about her. I think it's because the last time I was there, I declined the mani-pedi deal for just a manicure, heaven nails forbid. She peers down at my toenails. And by peers down I mean she fully bent over and inspected them. My toes curled into my cheapo flip flops in shame, I clearly needed a pedi. I don't have time, I told her, to which she answers "HONEY YOU NEED PEDICURE". So, she offered a "deal" where I pay for the mani-pedi but just get the mani today, if I don't have time, and get the pedi next time(?!) umm no thanks Bank of Heaven Nails. Her eyes pierced into my soul and she sneered, "OK, you the boss." umm.. k..what??
So I'm sitting there really aggravated that the one manicurist I've ever semi disliked in my life is the one I have to spend 20 minutes with. She starts filing. I ask, "Can you actually cut them?" She denied me. She actually said no. Followed by something in broken English. I couldn't understand, so I clarify "They get uncomfortable when they're long and when I'm at work, typing." More broken English. Finally, I go "Plus it's scary looking when I get a dark color and my nails are long." She continues filing. I give up. I'm a little scared of her. The overly nice owner asks HER customer next to me "Can I cut?" I'm jealous.
So I got the color I love, except I feel like a fucking witch, or my elementary he-she gym teacher Ms. Spina who always sported 10" long acrylic tips with Cowboys logo decal'ed on. Woe is me.

While visiting my friend on 3rd and 28th I spotted a cute little salon with 7$ manicures/20 manipedis. I'm excited to try this place out, especially because it's in Curry Hill. Till next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment